Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Going Public and The Best Cream of Broccoli Soup

So I know this very successful blogger.  She's savvy, snarky, and so very artistic she makes my head spin.  She has a keen eye for party planning, is an amazing organizer of fantastically fancy dining events, and is sometimes showcased as a sparkling TV personality. For all those many reasons I was terrified to share my tiny little blog with her.  What if I have a typo? (I am certain I do.) What if I sound stupid? (I really try not to.) What if, in all her infinite blogging wisdom, she finds my little endeavor lame? Then last night it hit me: she'd point out my weak spots, pat me on the back for the good stuff, and give suggestions to make it better. 

I'm not sure I would've come out and shared the link on my own, without any prodding. But after sharing a Facebook status about the best Cream of Broccoli Soup I've had in years (ok, the only Cream of Broccoli Soup I've had in years), my blogging guru friend gave me the kick I needed..."Would you just start a blog already?" she asked. Without that question, I'm not sure I could've or would've shared.  Up until last night, this little piece of me has been doled out to a few friends here and there.  I shared with some family, but even that was done after many months of pining, of struggling with the thoughts that "they may laugh, they may think this is stupid".  With the urging from an idol, I bit the bullet and posted a link to this blog filled with whatever errors may exist. Then I watched neurotically as my 'pageviews' count increased. I didn't know who read my thoughts, I didn't know their opinions, and I was terrified by that fact.

Turns out I am the sensitive type, ever fearful of rejection or condemnation or anything that resembles failure.  Over the years I've worked hard to conquer that character flaw and last night I gave myself one more kick in the ass to say, "get over it already, you're a grown woman with nothing to lose!" So now this blog has been viewed by many friends, maybe they'll share with many more- maybe not.  What really matters is that I put myself out there in a way I couldn't have a year ago, 6 months ago, or even 6 days ago. 

So, thanks be to Jen Luby, diva of party design, master of fashion and wit...this Cream of Broccoli Soup is for you.

Best Cream of Broccoli Soup
1 medium onion, (I used white)
1/3 cup green onions
1 medium carrot
1 clove garlic (unless you LOVE more)
2 teaspoons thyme
3 cups Yukon Gold potatoes
8 cups Vegetable Stock
1 cup water
1/3 cup nutritional yeast (completely delicious!)
4 cups broccoli florets
salt and pepper to taste

Chop and combine both types of onions, carrots, and garlic.  Sauté, using just enough water to keep from sticking, until onions become translucent.  Add thyme and chopped potatoes (I cut them into small cubes so they will cook more quickly) and sauté another minute or two.  Stir in vegetable stock and water.  Add nutritional yeast (this will give your soup a great salty/smokey/cheesy flavor and provide you with tons of vitamin B-12). Bring the pot to a boil, then add broccoli.  Cook until the potatoes are soft.  Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth- or whatever consistency you prefer.

*The basis of this recipe came from Forks Over Knives: The Cookbook. It did not have many of the ingredients that my version does, but the recipe from that book did look fantastic also.  If you've never looked into that cookbook, I highly recommend doing so.  Also, check out their website on maintaining a 'whole-foods, plant-based diet"

No comments:

Post a Comment