Monday, February 18, 2013

Zombie Fever...or maybe just the FLU

And here I was, feeling invincible. Weight loss, muscle gain, staying far away from dairy.  Two weeks ago, when the husband was sick on the couch and out of work for nearly a week, I kept waiting for it to hit me. Everyday I felt fine.  No signs, no symptoms. I was, I believed, an immune system Super Hero. The Amazing Aimee. Powers beyond belief. The ability to knock out germs with a single blow. As long as I avoided my krypton (dairy and wheat), I'd be fine.  Wrong.

Exactly two weeks after the husband was sick here I am, apparently mortal and very sick with the FLU. Yesterday, when my doctor offered to meet me for an evening treatment and I made my way to the car, I felt more like a "Walker" than a living, breathing, human. Shuffling, scraping one foot behind the other, groaning in pain.  Yep, I was a "Walker". I even had the super high fever to prove it: 104.8 degrees.  For real? Yes, for real.  Not such a immune system Super Hero after all.  

Although I'm definitely on the mend, it's slow going.  There are many holistic meds on the night stand and I've already taken a wet sock bath, followed by a neti pot treatment.  But there's one not so home remedy that I really miss.  It's a guilty pleasure that we all know is bad, bad, bad.  I hang my head in shame to admit this to you, but I really miss ramen soup.  It's not just the noodles, it's the seasoning too.  All of it filled with bad stuff I just can't eat.  But, there are some good things too; there is one very good thing in fact...turmeric.  With its anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties, it's actually the one ingredient that might be called good for you.  

A few weeks ago, I had a craving and decided to attempt a homemade version.  Switch out the ramen noodles for rice noodles, the powdered broth flakes for vegetable stock, and add some turmeric.  Ok, it needed just a little bit more, but not much.  I whipped up a batch today, at about noon, before I had a chance to become a "walker" again and it did, in fact, keep me human for a little while longer.  



Not So Bad For You Ramen

2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water
1-2 tablespoons Tamari (depending on how salty you like it)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 tespoon garlic
1 ounce flat ride noodles


To be honest, I am guesstimating my measurements here.  Some days I prefer a stronger garlic flavor, some days more salt.  Use this as a rough guideline and suit your own tasts.





No comments:

Post a Comment